Saturday, March 28

Letter from the editors: The Daily Bruin will cease printing and move online through at least April 10

(Tanmay Shankar/Assistant Photo editor)

To our readers,

The COVID-19 outbreak that has swept the nation this past week has been devastating for us all to witness and work through. A situation like this is unprecedented and has led to much discussion about the role of the Daily Bruin in informing our community, while also protecting the health and safety of our student staffers.

For the first time in Daily Bruin history, we have decided we will not be printing through at least April 10, the first two weeks of UCLA’s spring quarter. Because this situation has been evolving so quickly, we will reassess the situation after those two weeks and decide if we will be printing at all for the rest of the academic year.

The difficult decision was made by The Bruin’s upper management in conjunction with its Student Media advisor as well as the advertising department. The only other time the Daily Bruin – which has printed five days a week since 1925 – has scaled back its production cycle was shifting to printing three days a week during World War II.

Despite the lack of a print paper, we remain committed to informing our UCLA community through daily online content, which will be displayed on our website, social media platforms and email newsletter. Now, more than ever, it is our duty to keep Bruins informed about the impacts of COVID-19 on our campus, in Westwood and throughout the greater Los Angeles area.

Since 1919, the Daily Bruin has sought to reach and inform readers in whatever way it can – and that is not something that we intend to stop doing. We cannot predict what the coronavirus outbreak will bring in the coming days, but we will do everything in our power to keep you all informed every step of the way.

See you online,

Angie Forburger, Editor in chief
Joy Hong, Managing editor
Kristie-Valerie Hoang, Digital Managing editor

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Editor in chief

Forburger is the 2019-2020 editor in chief. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's volleyball, gymnastics, softball, swim and dive and rowing beats and was a Sports reporter before that.

Managing editor

Hong is the 2019-2020 Managing editor. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's basketball, men's water polo, women's water polo, women's tennis, and beach volleyball beats.

Digital Managing Editor

Hoang is the Digital Managing editor of the Daily Bruin. She was last year's Social Media Director and was previously an Assistant Photo editor on the Arts and Entertainment beat before that. Hoang additionally covers campus politics, national and higher education and is a senior staff photographer.