Saturday, Aug. 15, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

Letter from the editors: Daily Bruin will cease printing and move online for rest of academic year

(Tanmay Shankar/Assistant Photo editor)

By Angie Forburger, Joy Hong, and Kristie-Valerie Hoang

To our readers,

The COVID-19 outbreak that has swept the nation over the past month has been devastating for us all to witness and work through. A situation like this is unprecedented and has led to much discussion about the role of the Daily Bruin in informing our community, while also protecting the health and safety of our student staffers.

After initially suspending print for the first two weeks of UCLA’s spring quarter, we have decided that we will not be printing for the rest of the academic year.

This was a difficult decision made by The Bruin’s upper management in conjunction with its Student Media advisor as well as the advertising department. The only other time the Daily Bruin – which has printed five days a week since 1925 – has scaled back its production cycle was shifting to printing three days a week during World War II.

Despite the lack of a print paper, we remain committed to informing our UCLA community through daily online content, which will be displayed on our website, social media platforms and email newsletter. Now, more than ever, it is our duty to keep Bruins informed about the impacts of COVID-19 on our campus, in Westwood and throughout the greater Los Angeles area.

Since 1919, the Daily Bruin has sought to reach and inform readers in whatever way it can – and that is not something that we intend to stop doing. We cannot predict what the coronavirus outbreak will bring in the coming days, but we will do everything in our power to keep you all informed every step of the way.

See you online,

Angie Forburger, Editor in chief
Joy Hong, Managing editor
Kristie-Valerie Hoang, Digital Managing editor

Angie Forburger | Editor in chief
Forburger is the 2019-2020 editor in chief. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's volleyball, gymnastics, softball, swim and dive and rowing beats and was a Sports reporter before that.
Joy Hong | Managing editor
Hong is the 2019-2020 Managing editor. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's basketball, men's water polo, women's water polo, women's tennis, and beach volleyball beats.
Hoang was the 2019-2020 Digital Managing editor of the Daily Bruin. She was last year's Social Media Director and was previously an Assistant Photo editor on the Arts and Entertainment beat before that. Hoang additionally covers campus politics, national and higher education and is a senior staff photographer.

Beverly Hills Jason, Sunset Blvd and Doheny Dr. Upper Large Studio Appartment,l arge balcony, city view, full kitchen, full bathroom, parquet floor, hot and cold water, garbage, quiet building, available now. Studio $1995,1*1 $2295 #310-991-4777 only no email please.