Saturday, March 28

In response to the coronavirus, UCLA to host information session for students

UCLA will host an informational meeting about the coronavirus Monday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in De Neve Auditorium, featuring representatives from the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center and UCLA administration to discuss the disease and UCLA's preparedness. (Daily Bruin file photo)

UCLA will host an information session on the 2019 novel coronavirus Monday.

The informational meeting will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in De Neve Auditorium, said UCLA spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez in an emailed statement. Since space is limited, Vazquez added that UCLA is encouraging students to tune in to the livestream at ucla.in/townhall.

The event will feature representatives from the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center and UCLA administration to discuss facts about the disease and UCLA’s procedures, planning and preparedness.

“Understanding that there is a lot of news and sometimes misinformation regarding COVID-19, UCLA will host an informational meeting on Monday,” Vazquez said.

The coronavirus, which first arose in Wuhan, China, in December, has since spread to over 80 other countries. There are currently 14 confirmed cases in Los Angeles County and at least 100 reported in California as a whole.

California declared a state of emergency Wednesday after the state’s first coronavirus-related death.

UCLA Chancellor Gene Block announced in an email Friday morning that three students were being tested for the coronavirus by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. However, all three students tested negative for the disease.

Emily Carter, executive vice chancellor and provost, said in an email to students Saturday that UCLA has invested in software licenses and other technology in the case that the coronavirus causes a disruption to classes. This would allow students to continue to access lectures, discussion sections, office hours and final exams in a different manner, Carter said.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Assistant News editor

Shapero is an assistant News editor in the National News & Higher Education beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News & Higher Education beat. Shapero is a third-year political science student who enjoys covering national and statewide news.

• Really?

So we have this highly contagious disease with a 3.4% mortality rate let’s put a bunch of students in the same room to talk about it. I’m glad they also have a live stream but they should doing the stream exclusively. I thought UCLA would be smarter then this.

• T W

Hey now your figure is potentially to low!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0JEmRpklBQ&t=42m10s Listen Very
      carefully to those numbers that the white house provides. Think about the what those
      numbers mean if Hospitals reach capacity. We will be happy to have a 3.4% rate. I don’t understand why I see no others discussing this.

• Richard C

From WBNS-10TV (the headline is the story link) — “Ohio State canceling in-person classes until March 30 over coronavirus concerns”.