Friday, Aug. 14, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

Union AFSCME Local 3299 reaches tentative agreement with UC

Service workers in American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299 reached a tentative agreement with the University of California late Tuesday night. The union, which still has yet to ratify the agreement, went on strike six times in the last two years. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Julia Shapero and Kate Nucci

University of California service workers reached a tentative agreement with the University after over two years of negotiations.

Service workers and university administrators in American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299, an employee union that represents over 25,000 service and patient care employees in the UC, reached the tentative four-year agreement late Tuesday night.

“UC is pleased that after working with AFSCME leadership to address joint concerns and resolve our outstanding differences, we have reached a multi-year agreement for our valued employees,” said UC spokesperson Andrew Gordon.

The agreement, which must be ratified by union service members, includes wage increases and limits the number of UC employee service jobs outsourced to private contractors, according to an AFSCME Local 3299 press release.

The tentative contract comes after six strikes in two years. A call by AFSCME Local 3299 in November to boycott the UC resulted in the Democratic National Committee relocating its sixth primary debate for the 2020 presidential election from UCLA to Loyola Marymount University.

The union will vote to ratify the agreement Jan. 30. However, the patient care unit will continue bargaining with the UC this week.

Julia Shapero | Assistant News editor
Shapero is an assistant News editor in the National News & Higher Education beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News & Higher Education beat. Shapero is a third-year political science student who enjoys covering national and statewide news.
Kate Nucci | Assistant News editor
Nucci is the 2019-2020 Assistant News editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She was previously a contributor for the Campus Politics beat from 2018-2019 and Copy staff from 2017-2019.

Beverly Hills Jason, Sunset Blvd and Doheny Dr. Upper Large Studio Appartment,l arge balcony, city view, full kitchen, full bathroom, parquet floor, hot and cold water, garbage, quiet building, available now. Studio $1995,1*1 $2295 #310-991-4777 only no email please.