Wednesday, June 23, 2021

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLAViolence in Palestinian Territories and Israel2021 Pride Month

UCLA Fielding School of Public Health names Ronald Brookmeyer as new dean

Ronald Brookmeyer, the interim dean for the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health and a biostatistics professor, will assume the role effective Jan. 15. Brookmeyer has been a member of UCLA faculty since 2010. (Courtesy of UCLA Newsroom)

By Maanas Oruganti

The interim dean for the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health will assume the role effective Jan. 15.

Ronald Brookmeyer, a biostatistics professor, has served as interim dean of the School of Public Health since November 2018 and has been UCLA faculty member since 2010.

Brookmeyer said he is looking forward to trying to improve health through working with School of Public Health faculty, staff and students, in addition to colleagues and communities both inside Los Angeles and outside, according to a university press release published Wednesday.

His past work in public health has entailed predicting the magnitude of the impending HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 1980s, calling attention to the Alzheimer’s disease epidemic, and examining issues in biosecurity, disease surveillance and health challenges of aging populations.

Prior to joining UCLA in 2010, Brookmeyer was a biostatistics professor at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, where he worked as the director of an interdepartmental master of public health program. He received the Stebbins Medal from Johns Hopkins University for his contributions to educational programs.

Outside of UCLA, Brookmeyer is an elected member of the National Academy of Medicine, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a fellow of the American Statistical Association.

Maanas Oruganti | Enterprise editor
Oruganti is a News senior staffer. He was also the 2020-2021 Enterprise Editor and a News staff writer in the City & Crime and Science & Health beats 2020. He is also a fourth-year cognitive science student at UCLA.

WESTWOOD VILLAGE
2BR 2 Bath, 1200 sq.ft. $4,000; Large and extra large 1BR 1 Bath $2,600 and $2,700 (perfect for three people); parking included. Available July 1 OR September 1. Beautifully landscaped courtyard building, laundry room, pool. 691 Levering Avenue
leveringheights.com
(310) 208-3647