UCLA men’s basketball falls to BYU in second straight nonconference loss

Sophomore guard Jules Bernard came off the bench for UCLA men’s basketball and scored a team-high 16 points in the Bruins’ loss to BYU on Monday night.

Men's basketball

BYU78
UCLA63

By Ryan Smith

The Bruins’ problems followed them 2,500 miles across the Pacific Ocean.

UCLA men’s basketball (4-2) dropped its second straight game Monday night, falling to BYU (4-2) in the quarterfinal of the Maui Jim Maui Invitational by a score of 78-63.

The Cougars outscored the Bruins 27-11 in the final 11 minutes, 19 seconds of the second half after trailing 52-51. BYU guards TJ Haws and Jake Toolson led the way for the Cougars down the stretch, combining for 24 points on 9-of-16 shooting in the final 20 minutes.

BYU also shot 61% from the floor in the win, knocking down 31 of its 50 total shots and nine of its 18 attempts from beyond the 3-point line.

Meanwhile, UCLA’s 63 points Monday night equaled a new season low. The Bruins scored 31 points in the second half after scoring 32 in the first half, and shot 45% from the field while knocking down just five 3s.

Sophomore guard Jules Bernard led UCLA in scoring with 16 points off the bench in 29 minutes. He saw extended minutes throughout the night while redshirt freshman guard Tyger Campbell dealt with foul trouble.

Campbell played a season-low 22 minutes in the contest, scoring 11 points and dishing out just two assists. The young point guard also turned the ball over three times.

As a team, the Bruins turned the ball over 13 times in the loss, but it wasn’t as much of a factor as the score would indicate. While the Cougars converted those 13 turnovers into 16 points, BYU also turned the ball over 13 times for 16 UCLA points.

The Bruins will now move into the loser’s bracket of the tournament to face Chaminade on Tuesday at 2 p.m. The Silverswords are 8-93 all-time in the Maui Jim Maui Invitational after their 30-point loss to No. 4 Kansas on Monday.

Ryan Smith | Alumnus
Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.