Friday, Aug 7, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

Gallery: Beat ‘SC Rally 2019

By Tanmay Shankar, Lauren Man, James Schaap, Jintak Han, Axel Lopez, Jason Zhu, Naveed Pour, Christine Kao, Sakshi Joglekar

Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm

The Beat ‘SC Rally took place Thursday evening at Wilson Plaza, ahead of the football rivalry game with the Trojans on Saturday. This year was the second consecutive year without a bonfire in light of the recent wildfires across California. Attendees were instead encouraged to write notes of appreciation to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

(Jintak Han/Daily Bruin)

The festivities this year included a ferris wheel and other carnival games.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin)

In addition to carnival booths, food trucks serving Mexican fare and crepes were also present at the rally.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Joe Bruin positions himself into a student’s selfie while on top of the carnival’s Red Bull truck. Red Bull representatives were present at the rally giving free cans to attendees.

(James Schaap/Daily Bruin)

A pair of DJs were set-up on stage, playing popular tunes during the festivities.

(James Schaap/Daily Bruin)

As the main sequence of events began, UCLA men’s basketball coach Mick Cronin took the stage, promoting the basketball game against Hofstra later that night and saying that USC’s name must not be spoken on campus.

(Jintak Han/Daily Bruin)

Deviant Voices A Cappella kicked off the evening’s performances.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Bruin Bhangra performed both traditional and modern dances, including a piece to Down by Jay Sean.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Signature A Cappella, an all-female group, performed a UCLA-inspired version of American Boy.

(Christine Kao/Daily Bruin)

Kids watch the UCLA Spirit Squad perform from behind the stage.

(Sakshi Joglekar/Daily Bruin)

The UCLA Band performs their rendition of Kanye West’s “All of the Lights” as the football team prepares to make their entrance.

(Naveed Pour/Daily Bruin)

The football team descends down Janss Steps, led by freshman linebacker Carl Jones (left), senior linebacker Lokeni Toailoa (center) and redshirt senior linebacker Josh Woods (right).

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Football coach Chip Kelly praised the team’s graduating seniors for mentoring the younger players.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Toailoa talks to the crowd about his time on the football team.

(Lauren Man/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt senior running back Joshua Kelley takes the stage as his team and the crowd cheer him on.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Students cheer from the field, holding up rivalry shirts.

(Jason Zhu/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Shea Pitts concludes the festivities by leading the crowd and the team on a UCLA 8-clap.

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin)

Players pose for a photo as confetti flies onto the stage to mark the end of the rally.

(James Schaap/Daily Bruin)

Players stand around the Victory Bell, currently kept by UCLA following the Bruins’ victory over the Trojans last season. They will be defending the Victory Bell on Saturday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

(Jintak Han/Daily Bruin)

Tanmay Shankar | Assistant Photo editor
Tanmay is an Assistant Photo editor of the Daily Bruin. He covers the sports beat.
Lauren Man | Assistant Photo editor
Man is the incoming Assistant Photo editor on the news beat and second-year marine biology student. She also contributes to News and has written for PRIME.
Jintak Han | Senior staff photojournalist & news reporter
Jintak Han is a senior staff photojournalist and news reporter. Working at the Bruin through his entire undergraduate career from 2014 to 2020, Han has won dozens of awards and national recognition for his photojournalism. He is also known for his investigative reporting and is a staff writer for the City & Crime beat. He previously served as the 2016-2017 Assistant Photo editor and worked as a weekend reporter at the Korea Times for most of 2019.
Axel Lopez | Daily Bruin senior staff
Lopez is a senior staff photographer. He's a fourth year Political Science student. He likes portraiture and sports photography.
Christine Kao | Photographer