UCLA women’s soccer earns No. 2 seed, begins postseason with matchup against Lamar

Coach Amanda Cromwell has headed UCLA women’s soccer since 2013, when she led the Bruins to a national title in her first season in Westwood. Since then, UCLA has made the NCAA tournament in all but one season, including a championship appearance in 2017. (Niveda Tennety/Assistant Photo editor)

By Jacqueline Dzwonczyk

The Bruins are going dancing along with more than three-fourths of the Pac-12.

UCLA women’s soccer (14-4-1, 8-3-0 Pac-12) drew a No. 2 seed for the NCAA tournament, meaning the Bruins will start the postseason Friday with a home match against Lamar University (16-6, 10-1 Southland Athletic Conference). UCLA was one of nine Pac-12 teams to make the bracket and one of four teams in the conference to earn a seed.

“Being a No. 2 seed is great, but I think we were probably on the fringe of being a No. 1 seed – one more win could have done that for us,” said coach Amanda Cromwell.

The No. 1 seeds include Stanford, North Carolina, Virginia and Florida State, with the reigning national champion Florida State taking the top spot in the Bruins’ quarter of the bracket.

Then-No. 4 UCLA upset then-No. 1 Florida State on Aug. 29 at the Banc of California Stadium, and the Bruins have also posted regular-season wins over three other teams in their section of the bracket.

As the No. 2 seed, UCLA will host Lamar – a team which hails from Beaumont, Texas – at Wallis Annenberg Stadium on Friday at 5 p.m.

“I actually applaud the committee for sending in a team from out of state because a lot of times we end up playing (Cal State) Fullerton or Pepperdine again, and those are the hardest first-round games in the country,” Cromwell said.

Both California and USC occupy the same quarter of the bracket and both Pac-12 teams will face other California schools in the first round. The Golden Bears will play Cal State Fullerton while the Trojans will host Santa Clara.

“I don’t envy (USC’s) draw, I don’t envy (California’s) draw at all,” Cromwell said. “We can’t look past anybody, and we have to do our scout of (Lamar) as normal. But there are some really tough first-round games.”

The Bruins are riding a five-game winning streak into the postseason.

Jacqueline Dzwonczyk | Sports senior staff
Dzwonczyk is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women's soccer beat. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's basketball, women's soccer, beach volleyball, men's golf and women's golf beats. Dzwonczyk was previously a staff writer on the women's soccer, beach volleyball and women's tennis beats.