Daily Bruin Abroad: Chile

By Alice Naland

Valparaíso, a central port city on the coast of Chile, is known for its vibrant buildings and art. Thousands of colorful houses cover the vast hills that top the city, known as the ‘’The Jewel of the Pacific.’’

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Two hikers watch the sunset in Valle de la Luna in the region of San Pedro de Atacama. The Atacama Desert is situated in Northern Chile, adjacent to the Bolivian and Argentine borders.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

The streets of Valparaíso are covered with art and poetry from famous Chilean writers such as Pablo Neruda, who had a residence in the city.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Although the Atacama Desert is the driest nonpolar place on Earth, there are multiple salt pools where visitors come to float.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

A street dog climbs down the stairs on the hill of Cerro Concepción, a neighborhood in Valparaíso.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

The Valparaíso seaport can be seen from the top of Cerro Alegre.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

One of the most popular sights of Atacama is El Tatio, the third largest geyser field in the world. The region also contains swimmable hot springs sitting along a series of volcanoes between Chile and Bolivia.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

A field of vegetation and water sits in front of a mountain range connected to the Valle de la Luna.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

This courtyard is part of one of dozens of hostels in Viña Del Mar, the coastal city just north of Valparaíso.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Tourists walk past shops in the neighborhood of Cerro Alegre.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

The sun sets over a salt lagoon in Atacama.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Alice Naland