Daily Bruin Abroad: Vietnam

By Ashley Kenney

The Saigon River runs through Ho Chi Minh City, allowing cargo ships and passenger boats to look onto the city center in District 1.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Motorcycles and mopeds are some of the most popular methods of transportation in Vietnam. Driving down tight sidewalks and alleyways, motorcyclists use their compact size to their advantage.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Among fresh produce, shoes and counterfeit designer bags, Bến Thành Market, a large marketplace in Ho Chi Minh City, features hundreds of booths and vendors that sell a variety of goods.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

A woman prepares raw meat to be sold in Bến Thành Market’s open-air environment.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Pedestrians and motorcyclists share the road on a crowded street. About 95% of registered vehicles in Vietnam are motorcycles and scooters.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Tân Định Church, located in District 1 of Ho Chi Minh City, was built during the French colonization of Vietnam in the 19th century.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Vendors sit along the street at the Bình Tây Market in Chợ Lớn, Ho Chi Minh City’s own Chinatown.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Known for its white sand beaches and resorts, Phú Quốc is a small island off the coast of Vietnam that serves as a popular tourist destination.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Phú Quốc is home to many fishing villages and boats where locals will head out daily in order to catch seafood.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Vietnamese cuisine frequently features seafood, especially on the island of Phú Quốc. Various fish and mollusks are freshly grilled or baked and served with a dipping sauce made of lemon juice, salt and locally grown black pepper.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Tourists can take day trips on speedboats to the nearby islands of Phú Quốc to snorkel and see white sand beaches.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

While tourists can enjoy local cuisine during their day trips, much of the leftover waste from their meals piles up on the island.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

The Saigon Central Post Office was constructed during the French colonial rule of Vietnam and was designed by Alfred Foulhoux.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Street vendors sell desserts, such as the tofu-based đậu hũ nước đường, on Bùi Viện Street, a part of Ho Chi Minh City’s ''backpacker’s area.''

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Incense burners are placed in front of the altar of Mazu, a Chinese sea goddess, that Ba Thien Hau Temple in Ho Chi Minh City is devoted to.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

The Notre Dame Cathedral of Saigon was constructed in the late 1800s and is currently undergoing renovations.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Bình Quới Tourist Village showcases picturesque rice paddies and lily pads. The Village is a popular destination that highlights traditional South Vietnamese cuisine in its three-story floating restaurant.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Within the Bình Quới Tourist Village, there is a memorial for Trịnh Công Sơn, a popular Vietnamese musician.

(Ashley Kenney/Daily Bruin)

Ashley Kenney | Photo editor
Kenney was the 2021-2022 Photo editor for the Daily Bruin. She previously served as an assistant Photo editor on the arts and entertainment beat and is an Arts contributor. Kenney studied human biology and society with a minor in food studies.