Friday, June 5, 2020

Advertise

There is no curfew in Los Angeles tonight. Follow our coverage of countywide protests against racial injustice here.

Bruins sacrifice early lead to Aztecs as UCLA football trails after first half

Redshirt senior running back Joshua Kelley – who made his season debut after sitting out against Cincinnati last week – put the Bruins on the board first with a five-yard touchdown. UCLA, however, trails San Diego State 10-7 at the break. (Niveda Tennety/Assistant Photo editor)

By Ryan Smith

September 7, 2019 3:05 pm

The Bruins let a fast start get away from them.

UCLA football (0-1) trails San Diego State (1-0) 10-7 at halftime in its home opener, despite striking first just two minutes and 57 seconds into the game.

After opening the day with a defensive three-and-out, highlighted by a sack from redshirt junior defensive end Osa Odighizuwa, the Bruins zipped down the field to open the scoring on a five-yard scamper from redshirt senior running back Joshua Kelley.

Kelley – who missed last week’s season opener in Cincinnati – finished the half with 35 yards on eight carries.

SDSU marched the ball downfield on the ensuing drive, converting on a 3rd-and-8 in its own territory and then benefitting from a pass interference call on 3rd-and-goal from 17 yards out, placing the ball at the three-yard line.

Aztecs running back Chase Jasmin then capped off the drive with a two-yard score to tie the game at seven apiece.

Following a fumble from freshman tight end Mike Martinez on UCLA’s next drive, SDSU took control of the lead with a field goal from 43 yards out.

The teams traded missed field goals late in the second quarter, preserving the score at 10-7 heading into the break.

Sophomore quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson surpassed his completed passes total from a week ago in the first half alone, connecting on 10 of his 15 pass attempts for 86 yards. Thompson-Robinson completed just eight of his 26 pass attempts in the season opener Aug. 29.

The Bruins will receive the second-half kickoff.

Ryan Smith | Sports senior staff
Smith is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the football and men's basketball beats. He was the 2018-2019 Sports editor and an assistant Sports editor in 2017-2018. Smith was previously on the women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.

Ariel Court-535 Gayley Ave. Private studio and 1 bdrm apartments available for Summer and/or Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Parking, pool & fitness ctr. at property. Specials up to 2 Months Free! Studios from $2,099 & 1×1 from $2,400. Mention this ad for $0 Application fee (310) 208-3818 www.decron.com