UCLA football succumbs to Cincinnati in season-opener for second consecutive year

Sophomore quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson posted a 30.8 completion percentage in UCLA football’s loss to Cincinnati on Thursday. (Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Football

UCLA14
Cincinnati24

By Sam Connon

This post was updated August 29 at 9:09 p.m.

CINCINNATI — If the Bruins were expected to take a leap in coach Chip Kelly’s second year in Westwood, it hasn’t happened yet.

UCLA football (0-1) dropped its second straight season-opener to Cincinnati (1-0) in a 24-14 losing effort Thursday night. The Bruins lost to the Bearcats by nine points to kick off the 2018 season – despite suffering just one turnover – but they turned it over four times and lost by 10 in round two of the home-and-home.

“We knew this was a good football team. … It doesn’t surprise us,” Kelly said. “To me, it’s a great experience. I’d rather play games like this all the time than play some cupcake to try to warm this thing up. Let’s go play the best and see what we can do.”

Sophomore quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson threw an interception in UCLA territory on the Bruins’ first drive of the second half, setting up an eventual 12-yard touchdown carry by running back Michael Warren II. The Bearcats picked off Thompson-Robinson again with just under 13 minutes to play for the quarterback’s third turnover of the night.

His first was a fumble in the red zone on UCLA’s first possession of the game, allowing Cincinnati to score the game’s first 10 points. Thompson-Robinson threw a 75-yard touchdown to wide receiver-turned-running back Demetric Felton halfway through the second quarter to make it a 10-7 game at the half.

On the Bruins’ third possession of the second half, Thompson-Robinson opened things up with a 39-yard, back shoulder pass to junior wideout Jaylen Erwin that put UCLA in the red zone. The quarterback capped off the drive with a 7-yard touchdown to fellow sophomore wide receiver Chase Cota, closing the deficit to three yet again.

Cincinnati made it 24-14 after stringing together a 75-yard, 10-play drive that ended in another touchdown for Warren. Thompson-Robinson threw his second pick three plays later and – after taking UCLA from its own 27 to Cincinnati’s 18 – he had another unforced fumble when the ball slipped out of his hands with under five minutes to play.

“Obviously with four turnovers, all from the quarterback, that’s not good,” Thompson-Robinson said. “So we’re going to go back in the film room, look over some things and clean some stuff up.”

Thompson-Robinson ended the night 8-of-26 with a career-low 30.8 completion percentage. Seventy-five of his 156 yards came on the touchdown to Felton and his 91.2 passer rating was 0.1 away from being a career-low.

The Bruins were without seven starters Thursday due to both injuries and suspensions. Junior cornerback Darnay Holmes and redshirt senior running back Joshua Kelley were game-time decisions but neither took a snap.

“You’re not going to put them in harm’s way and they weren’t 100%,” Kelly said. “That’s not fair to those guys if they’re not where they need to be, and a couple of those guys tried (to play).”

Felton started in Kelley’s place, picking up 71 yards on 23 attempts out of the backfield. The redshirt junior rushed for 27 yards on five attempts in 2018 but had been practicing with the running backs during fall camp.

“Me and (Kelley) roomed together for this road game so I was just talking to him, trying to get some advice on like about how he goes about (being the primary ball carrier),” Felton said. “He’s obviously a great guy, you know. I can’t wait for him to get back so me and him can … tag team.”

Redshirt junior left guard Michael Alves – who injured his back in practice – and senior wide receiver Theo Howard were not dressed and did not warm up with the team. Sophomore running back Kazmeir Allen did not travel with the team due to academic reasons.

One Bruin who did play, despite not seeing the field in 677 days, was redshirt senior linebacker Josh Woods.

“I’m just happy man, it’s just a blessing to be back out there, to be able to compete with my brothers,” Woods said. “I was just smiling and laughing the whole time. … Of course I want to win, but it was a blessing to be out there competing.”

Woods and the defense held the Bearcats to two fewer points than they did a year ago despite allowing 113 more yards. Cincinnati’s 417 yards were almost double UCLA’s 218 and its 38:27 time of possession also nearly doubled the Bruins’ 21:33.

The Bruin defense forced two turnovers, the first of which was a forced fumble by redshirt sophomore defensive back Elijah Gates, who also co-led the team with 10 tackles. The second was a goal-line interception by redshirt sophomore cornerback Jay Shaw, bringing UCLA back into Cincinnati territory just before the half.

The Bearcats turned the Bruins’ first two turnovers into 14 points, while UCLA failed to capitalize on either of Cincinnati’s giveaways.

Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.