Thursday, July 2, 2020

Advertise

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Injustice Protests

Ford Foundation grants UCLA $1.5M to support immigrant youth and workers

The Ford Foundation awarded $1.5 million to UCLA. The grant will go toward helping disadvantaged populations such as undocumented workers and children of immigrant families. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Maanas Oruganti

May 28, 2019 11:49 pm

UCLA received $1.5 million to help disadvantaged populations such as undocumented workers and children of immigrant families.

The Ford Foundation awarded the grant to UCLA, a university press release announced Thursday. The foundation will endow one $750,000 grant to the UCLA Labor Center – part of the UCLA College’s Institute for Research on Labor and Employment – and another to the Institute for Immigration, Globalization, and Education in the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.

The grant will support the labor center’s Dream Resource Center and ReWork, two projects dedicated to creating a more equal economy for immigrant families, according to the UCLA Labor Center’s website. The grant will also help the center provide technical assistance to Los Angeles worker centers and evaluate state workforce development programs.

The Institute for Immigration, Globalization, and Education aims to research and publish information on the experiences of children born in other countries. The grant will specifically help develop three projects, including Re-imagining Migration, which develops curricula for educators to combat misconceptions about immigration and build a national media campaign to change the general public attitude toward migrants, according to the university press release.

The foundation was established in 1936 by Edsel Ford – son of Henry Ford, the founder of Ford Motor Company. The Ford Foundation has provided grants to UCLA for over 60 years, with its philanthropy focused on combating poverty and promoting international cooperation, according to the press release.

The foundation’s contribution is a part of the Centennial Campaign for UCLA, which will last until December 2019.

Maanas Oruganti | Enterprise editor
Oruganti is a News staff writer. He was previously a reporter for the city and crime beat. He is also a second-year cognitive science student.

ARIEL COURT APARTMENTS 535 Gayley Ave. PRIVATE STUDIO & ONE BEDROOM APARTMENTS available for Summer & Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Property features 24-hr package lockers, pool, spa, fitness ctr. & parking. Studio from $2,099, 1×1 from $2,400. Specials up to 2 MONTHS FREE! Mention this ad for $0 App. Fee. Call now (310) 208-3818 *** www.arielcourt.com ***