NWWNC graduate student representative – Paul Kurek

(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Editorial Board

The board endorses Paul Kurek for graduate student representative on the North Westwood Neighborhood Council for his clear recommendations and institutional understanding of how to make Westwood a friendlier place for students.

The current NWWNC member and former Graduate Students Association member aims to tackle the restrictive policies on bars and restaurants. In his words, this involves addressing concerns like those about community members who have continued to harass businesses with bureaucratic appeals or outdated neighborhood restrictions on the kinds of eateries and businesses that can operate in Westwood Village.

Housing is another high priority for Kurek, who thinks university housing costs should be in line with the salary the university pays graduate students. He also hopes to loosen restrictions on housing projects in Westwood to encourage the development of affordable housing. His short tenure on the council so far has equipped him with solid knowledge about housing ordinances, zoning and the Westwood Village Specific Plan, all of which can inform his decisions about increasing affordability.

Kurek’s platforms aren’t all fleshed out, though – especially his push to improve public transit and wish to increase event visibility in the Village – both of which are vague, to say the least. Yet with more thought, these ideas can match the ambitious, but reasonable goals he has for continuing to build up the council and its ability to serve the community.

Editorial Board