Wednesday, May 27

No Offense, But: The 2019 USAC election

This year’s Undergraduate Students Association Council featured the lowest voter turnout in at least the past decade, an eye-popping number of empty seats on the council table and a remarkable lack of fanfare. The Daily Bruin’s Opinion editor Keshav Tadimeti, senior staff columnist Abhishek Shetty, columnists Edgerrin Panaligan and Enming Zhang, and campus politics editor Melissa Morris discuss why that happened in the annual “No Offense, But” USAC election postmortem.

Senior staff columnist

Tadimeti was the Daily Bruin's Opinion editor from 2017-2019 and an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 school year. He tends to write about issues pertaining to the higher education, state politics and the administration, and blogs occasionally about computer science. Tadimeti was also the executive producer of the "No Offense, But" and "In the Know" Daily Bruin Opinion podcasts.

Opinion staff columnist

Shetty is a senior staffer in the Opinion section and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. He was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2017-2018 school year and previously contributed as an opinion columnist. He writes about topics including the undergraduate student government and the UCLA administration.

contact

Melissa Morris
Assistant Opinion editor

Panaligan is an Assistant Opinion editor for the Daily Bruin from Carson, California. He was previously an Opinion columnist and wrote about issues regarding higher education and student life. He also contributes to the Arts and Entertainment section and has a fervent love for the Los Angeles-based sister band Haim.