Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

UCPD investigating deceptive phone calls from people impersonating officers

By David Gray

University police are searching for multiple people who impersonated UCPD officers in an attempt to extort money from UCLA students and staff.

The callers contacted multiple UCLA students and staff members and tried to convince them that they or someone they know had an outstanding warrant. The callers, who began the scheme March 14, also claimed that someone was using the victim’s identity to buy or sell drugs from the Dominican Republic, according to a UCPD alert.

The callers also demanded that the victim pay a fine to avoid arrest.

To the victims, the call appeared to come from UCPD’s main phone number but in fact was made from a private caller.

UCPD did not provide a description of the callers.

UCPD said it would never call someone and demand payment, nor would it ask for payment via mail or bank transfer.

The case is still under investigation. Anyone with information about the case can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

David Gray | News Editor
Gray is the 2019-2020 News editor of the Daily Bruin. He was previously an assistant News editor and a reporter for the city and crime beat. He is also a third-year political science student at UCLA.
Guesthouse for Rent

CHARMING GUEST HOUSE for a single student for rent in Bel Air with its own secluded verdant patio and one mile from UCLA. Low rent of $1,000 includes Sofa, queen-size bed, utilities, washer/dryer, kitchenette and parking. Renter must be a dog lover and willing to house sit two small dogs, as part of rental arrangement. Srila âª(310) 709-4411⬠âª[email protected]â¬