Thursday, February 20

North Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – April 4

The North Westwood Neighborhood Council is the official neighborhood council representing Westwood Village and UCLA to LA City Council. Council meetings are open to the public and held monthly. The next meeting will be held on May 1 in Weyburn Terrace from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Comments from public officials:

• Andrew Thomas, executive director for the Westwood Village Improvement Association, said LA City Council approved the creation of the Broxton Pedestrian Plaza. The association is looking to work with the North Westwood Neighborhood Council to implement event programming in the area.

• Carmen Healey, an assistant director of UCLA Community and Local Government Relations, said approximately 9,000 students will attend College Signing Day on May 1, which former first lady Michelle Obama will attend. Healey said UCLA will also be implementing an e-ticket parking system as a replacement for the existing parking permit system in May.

• Ami Fields-Meyer, a West LA representative to Mayor Garcetti’s office, said the city is on track to recycle all of its waste water by 2035 as a part of its initiative to become more environmentally friendly. Fields-Meyer added the city plans on phasing out three natural gas power plants in favor of renewable energy sources.

Motions:

• The council voted unanimously in favor of funding the operation of and providing donations to Westwood Connect Day, which will take place April 24. Erin Schneider, a field deputy for Los Angeles County supervisor Sheila Kuehl, said the event aims to help those facing homelessness in the area access legal, medical and housing services.

• The council approved allocating $1,647 for election outreach costs.

• The council voted to endorse Senate Bill 50, a housing bill providing incentives for developers to construct low income or extremely low income housing near Metro train stations. Michael Skiles, president of the NWWNC, said the bill would waive height restrictions and minimum parking requirements for new buildings within a quarter mile radius of any Metro train stop. Some members of the council raised concerns about the inadequacy of the bill and potential gentrification effects despite the presence of anti-gentrification clauses in the bill.

• The council voted to endorse Senate Bill 58, which potentially would allow businesses in certain California cities to sell alcohol until 4 a.m. Currently, California businesses are unable to sell alcohol from 2 .a.m. to 6 a.m.
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Reddit
Staff Writer

Oruganti is a News staff writer. He was previously a reporter for the city and crime beat. He is also a second-year cognitive science student.

• Chantelle Eastman

Thank you Maanas for providing these recaps to inform our public so quickly. As the Chair of the Homeless Committee on the North Westwood Council and author of the motion to co-sponsor the Connect Day on April 24th, I wanted to note that BOTH Westwood Neighborhood Councils (Westwood and North Westwood) voted to allocate up to $1,500 to assist in covering operation costs.

Flier for the event can be found by clicking this link:
    http://bit.ly/2FQkTsj

This event is lead by Erin, whom you mentioned. Anyone who would like to donate or volunteer, please email Erin at [email protected].

If you would like to be more involved in homeless issues in Westwood, email me at [email protected].

Items that the event really needs are hygiene products (full size shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes, and hair brushes), men’s clothing (used clothing is okay, but new underwear and socks please!), reusable bags, prepackaged food, and much more if you contact Erin. There will be a women’s clothing rack there provided by a generous sample sale vendor, but I would say still donate if you can! Everything will go to the folks there seeking services, and any left overs will go to the service providers to use within SPA 5 so nothing will go unused!

If you or anyone you know is on the brink of homelessness or experiencing homelessness, please feel free to attend to get in touch with over 20 different service providers that can help you.

THIS IS NOT FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC TO JUST ATTEND. This event is just to provide services to those who need them and the rest of the attendees will be the service providers and volunteers. Volunteers are needed from 9am-2pm and must sign up in advance with Erin in order to volunteer as it will be capped at a certain number.

Thank you everyone for your support of our neighbors experiencing homelessness and to The Daily Bruin staff for staying so late through the meeting as we adjourned at about 10:45pm!