Sunday, July 12, 2020

Advertise

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Injustice Protests

UCLA Athletics announces resignation of men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo

UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo has resigned, according to UCLA Senior Associate Athletic Director of Communications, Shana Wilson. Jorge led the Bruins to a 10-9 record during the 2018 season and was the second-longest tenured men’s soccer coach in program history. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Joy Hong and Sam Connon

March 21, 2019 6:27 pm

UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo has resigned, according to UCLA Senior Associate Athletic Director of Communications, Shana Wilson.

Salcedo was one of the suspects allegedly involved in a bribery scheme helping admit students to universities as student-athletes who had not played the sport competitively. UCLA spokesperson Tod Tamberg announced March 12 that Salcedo was placed on leave and would not have any involvement with the team while the matter was under review.

[RELATED: UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo charged in college admissions bribery scheme]

Salcedo coached his 15th season for the Bruins in 2018. The former UCLA All-American led the Bruins to a 172-80-42 overall record and was the second-longest tenured men’s soccer coach in program history.

During his time in Westwood, Salcedo signed the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation seven times. He most recently roped in the best recruiting class in the nation in 2018, following UCLA’s worst season since 1948 after a 7-10-1 record in 2017.

Salcedo has guided the Bruins to six Pac-12 titles and 14 NCAA championship appearances in the last 15 seasons.

Joy Hong | Managing editor
Hong is the 2019-2020 Managing editor. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's basketball, men's water polo, women's water polo, women's tennis, and beach volleyball beats.
Sam Connon | Sports senior staff
Connon is currently a Sports senior staff writer for the football and men's basketball beats. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats from 2018-2019 and a reporter on the baseball and women's basketball beats from 2017-2018. Connon also contributes movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment and co-hosts Daily Bruin Sports' weekly podcast, "Out of Bounds." Connon is a rising fourth-year Communication student from Winchester, Massachusetts.