Crosstown Clash: UCLA Beach Volleyball extends winning record after defeating USC

By Alice Naland

Sophomore Megan Muret executes a bump pass to partner senior Izzy Carey on court five. The pair gave UCLA a 1-0 lead at the start of the match-up.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

USC Assistant Coach Gustavo Rocha talks with junior Cammie Dorn and freshman Mollie Ebertin during their loss to the Bruins in straight sets. The Trojans’ loss on court five gave UCLA their first point of the match.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Carey celebrates a kill that clinched the afternoon’s first match for UCLA. Carey finished the day with 30 digs and 21 kills to give the Bruins an early lead.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Junior Savvy Simo keeps the play alive to pass the ball during a three-set loss to USC. Simo had 18 digs on the day and recorded one ace.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore Mac May fails to block a kill during Wednesday’s crosstown clash. May tied the match-high 20 kills and notched seven digs through three sets.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Senior Nicole McNamara reacts to a botched serve by partner Megan McNamara during the pair’s fall to the Trojans. With the sisters' loss, USC tied it up with UCLA at two matches apiece.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

May executes a dig during the second set of UCLA’s first dropped match.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

USC graduate student Alexandra Poletto records a kill against May. Poletto and USC sophomore Haley Hallgren dropped one set to the Bruins in their victory on court three.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Senior Sarah Sponcil and her opponents contest the ref's call during the second set of their match. Sponcil hit two aces and set up junior Lily Justine’s winning kill.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Hallgren and Poletto react to a bad dig by the Bruins.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Justine hits the ball past the hands of USC graduate student Terese Cannon during the final match of the day. Justine completed 13 additional kills during the Bruins' straight-set victory.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

The team rushes Justine after her kill sealed the win for the Bruins.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

UCLA celebrates its win over USC by leading the crowd in an 8-Clap. The Bruins’ victory gives the team their best start in program history, extending their 2019 record to 6-0.

(Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Alice Naland