Club Sports: UCLA Ice Hockey

By Daniel Leibowitz

Junior forward Michael Wu battles against a USC player for the puck. Wu has played for UCLA Ice Hockey since his freshman year. Forwards, which include right and left wingers, are responsible for scoring goals and and helping the defensemen.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Senior Peter Katz faces off against a USC player. Katz has played for the team all four years, serving as the captain this year.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Junior right wing Evan Rittenhouse moved the puck toward the goal. Rittenhouse has played all three years for UCLA Ice Hockey and is one 12 forwards on the team.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Freshman left wing Leo Gretzinger is playing his first season with the club.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Several fans came to the game wearing onesies. The club will usually sponsor student buses for home games against USC. Katz says the club has been able to draw larger crowds each year and hope to continue to promote its presence on campus.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

A USC player shoves Rittenhouse. Rittenhouse participated throughout UCLA Ice Hockey’s regular season, which runs through fall and winter quarters.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Junior Paul Smigliani has played as a defender for the past three years, serving as assistant captain this season. According to Katz, defenders are responsible for assisting the goalie in keeping the puck out of the net.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore defender Richard Zhou has played for the club for two years. He is one of the six defensemen on the team.

(Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

Daniel Leibowitz | Photographer