Friday, Sept. 25, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

UCLA tells residents to stay indoors due to poor air quality caused by Woolsey Fire

UCLA is advising all residents to remain indoors due to poor air quality on account of the Woolsey fire, which started Thursday and has spread through Los Angeles and Ventura counties. (Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)

By David Gray

This post was updated Nov. 11 at 4:23 p.m.

UCLA resumed all outdoor recreation and sports activities Sunday after canceling them earlier due to poor air quality while a fire burns south of Simi Valley.

The university issued a Bruin Alert on Sunday advising all residents to remain indoors on account of the Woolsey Fire, which started Thursday and has spread through Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Outdoor activities planned by the university were canceled until air quality improved later in the day. Masks are available for students with respiratory issues living on the Hill at the front desks of residence halls.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department issued a mandatory evacuation alert for residents of Malibu, Calabasas, Hidden Hills, Westlake Village, Agoura and unincorporated areas of the county directly impacted by the fire. Currently, 83,275 acres have been affected, with 10 percent containment, according to LACoFD.

Evacuation orders for some parts of Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park and Simi Valley were lifted Sunday afternoon.

David Gray | News Editor
Gray is the 2019-2020 News editor of the Daily Bruin. He was previously an assistant News editor and a reporter for the city and crime beat. He is also a third-year political science student at UCLA.
Guesthouse for Rent

CHARMING GUEST HOUSE for a single student for rent in Bel Air with its own secluded verdant patio and one mile from UCLA. Low rent of $1,000 includes Sofa, queen-size bed, utilities, washer/dryer, kitchenette and parking. Renter must be a dog lover and willing to house sit two small dogs, as part of rental arrangement. Srila âª(310) 709-4411⬠âª[email protected]â¬