USAC recap – Oct. 23
Oct. 24, 2018 5:19 p.m.
The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.
- Students reminded the council about the upcoming North Westwood Neighborhood Council election.
- Students said the council should prioritize reforming the USAC election board to protect voters, in part by appointing an election board chair.
- A California Public Interest Research Group representative updated the council on CALPIRG’s recent successes, including securing $5 million for open-source textbooks and the passage of Senate Bill 100, which would guarantee 100 percent renewable energy in California by 2045. He also introduced this year’s lead campaign: save the bees.
- The council approved a resolution in support of American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299’s ongoing strike.
- The council approved a resolution supporting Proposition 10, which would allow for local rent control, in the Nov. 6 election.
- The council allocated a total of $60,140 to USA/Associated Students UCLA Board of Directors Programming Fund.
- The council allocated a total of $15,320.01 to Student Organizations Operational Fund.
- The council allocated a total of $1,134 from the Supplemental Fund for Service to non-USAC groups.
- The council allocated a total of $5,952.99 from the contingency programming fund to USAC and non-USAC groups.
- The council appointed Armando Olea to the Campus Retention Committee.
- The council appointed Beatrice Avancena to the John Wooden Center Board of Governors.
- The council appointed Juan Munoz to the Transportation Services Advisory Board.
- The council appointed Haley Gamboa to the Committee on Disability.
- The council appointed Mitansh Shah to the Advisory Board on Privacy and Data Protection.
- The council appointed Amy Pham as the assistant budget review director for USAC.
- President Claire Fieldman said she will announce her appointee for election board chair Thursday, and put them up for a vote Tuesday.
- A spokesperson for the internal vice president’s office said the Good Clothes Good People redistribution center will open Nov. 2. He added the Campus Safety Alliance had its first meeting Thursday.
- External Vice President Jamie Kennerk said her office registered around 2,000 voters over the quarter. She added she will be speaking at AFSCME rallies throughout the week in support of University of California workers.
- General Representative 3 Eduardo Solis said his office will host a day of phone banking Wednesday to advocate for immigrants. He added his office handed out roughly 300 flyers informing students about the propositions in the November election.
- Academic Affairs Commissioner Nidirah Stephens said a new lobby management system will be implemented in UCLA libraries to prevent students from being removed if they do not have their BruinCard.
- Campus Events Commissioner Alley Madison said her office will kick off Campus Movie Festival on Oct. 30, in which students will create short films. She added her office will host Still Woozy at a concert in Kerckhoff Hall on Oct. 31.
- Student Wellness Commissioner George Louis Faour said his office’s Active Minds will host Common Scents, an aromatherapy workshop, Nov. 7. He added Bruin Consent Coalition will host Light Up the Night on Oct. 30 to conclude its events for relationship violence awareness month. He also added SWC Earth had a beach cleanup last week and got approval to use a gardening plot, where it will grow food for food closets on campus.