Leader of white supremacist group involved in Charlottesville riots arrested

By Melissa Morris

Federal authorities arrested the leader and two members of a white supremacist group for organizing and participating in riots.

Robert Rundo, the leader of the Rise Above Movement, was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday.

Michael Miselis, a former UCLA aerospace engineering doctoral student, was a member of the group and was arrested three weeks ago for inciting a riot and committing violence in Charlottesville, Virginia last year.

ProPublica and Frontline found a video of Miselis beating an unidentified African-American man at the Charlottesville “Unite the Right” rally in August 2017.

Rundo was denied bail Wednesday. The judge in the case called Rundo a flight risk, as Rundo has taken several trips abroad and was picked up in Central America leading up to his arrest.

Melissa Morris | Alumna
Morris was previously the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was also the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat.