UCLA Dining to offer meal coupons in exchange for Hill swipes during AFSCME strike

For three days, students can exchange dorm swipes for full meals at various on-campus restaurants such as Veggie Grill in Ackerman Union. (Rachel Hefner/Daily Bruin)

By Megana Sekar

UCLA Dining will offer full-meal coupons in exchange for Hill swipes during the American Federation of County, State and Municipal workers strike Tuesday to Thursday.

Associated Students UCLA recently announced the value of dorm coupons would increase by $1, from $2.45 to $3.45.

However, during the three days dining hall workers are striking, full-meal combinations will be offered at many on-campus restaurants. AFSCME is striking over claims that the University of California is outsourcing jobs and perpetuating gender- and race-based wage imbalances.

[Related: AFSCME Local 3299 releases dates for patient care workers’ systemwide strike]

Students must go to the front desks of residence halls to exchange one swipe for a coupon, valid on the same day. Some options available include buffalo wings from Veggie Grill, any 1-item bowl from Panda Express, a burrito combo from Taco Bell, or a pastry and coffee from Kerckhoff Cafe or the Music Cafe. The options range from ASUCLA locations in Ackerman Union, to the Court of Sciences Student Center, to the North Campus Student Center and Lu Valle Commons.

In another departure from the usual dorm coupons, students can redeem their coupons for a full meal at third-party vendors like Veggie Grill, Subway and Taco Bell, as well as ASUCLA-owned restaurants like the cafes and Curbside. After Thursday, the coupons will again be redeemable for $3.45 at ASUCLA-owned restaurants but only for $3.15 at third-party vendors.

Megana Sekar | Senior Staff
Sekar is a senior staff reporter for the national news and higher education beat. She was previously the 2018-2019 assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat and a news contributor before that. Sekar is a third-year political science and economics student and enjoys dogs, dancing, and dessert.