Football hopes to take advantage of Arizona’s porous defense, backup quarterback

Chip Kelly recorded his first win with UCLA football last weekend against California. The Bruins won by 30 points and their total of 37 points was the most they scored all season. (Amy Dixon/Photo editor)

By Sam Connon

The last time Arizona coach Kevin Sumlin came to the Rose Bowl, history was made.

Sumlin was the coach of Texas A&M when the Aggies blew a 34-point lead in the second half to Josh Rosen and the Bruins in a 45-44 UCLA victory on Sept. 3, 2017.

Now, Sumlin is back – this time in navy blue and cardinal instead of maroon and white.

“It’ll be interesting,” said Sumlin at Monday’s press conference.

UCLA football (1-5, 1-2 Pac-12) will host Arizona (3-4, 2-2) on Saturday night, but the Bruins won’t be facing the same team Sumlin brought to town last year.

And this isn’t the same Wildcats squad that beat the Bruins 47-30 last fall either.

Arizona’s leading passer and leading rusher in that game, quarterback Khalil Tate, will miss the game after injuring his ankle last week against Utah.

Tate torched the Bruins for 230 yards and two touchdowns on the ground – in addition to one touchdown and 148 yards on 9-of-13 passing – but sophomore cornerback Darnay Holmes said Tate missing the rematch was bittersweet.

“Prayers up for my boy, Khalil Tate,” Holmes said. “I wanted to get revenge. I just hope that he has great spirits and I wish the best for him.”

Tate’s numbers have slipped this season after many expected him to be a Heisman Trophy contender. His completion percentage dropped from 62 to 53.4, his yards per attempt slipped from 8.9 to 7.9 and his passer rating dipped from 152.4 to 136.0.

Tate’s ground numbers suffered this year as well, as the junior went from averaging 128.3 yards and 1.1 touchdowns per game to 113 yards and two touchdowns across seven games this season.

Before Tate was officially ruled out, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Odua Isibor said the Bruins would prepare for all possible scenarios and pay close attention to Tate’s breakout performance against UCLA last year.

“We’re just preparing for everyone, so if anyone comes out there we’ll be ready,” Isibor said. “We watch everything to get ready, so I don’t see why we wouldn’t (watch film of Tate against UCLA last year).”

Tate, however, will not be suiting up. The Wildcats’ starting quarterback will be Rhett Rodriguez, but Holmes said whoever started at quarterback would be worthy competition.

“They’re just playing their game,” Holmes said. “They’re sticking to the basics and doing what they need to do as a quarterback.”

Rodriguez was a three-star prospect coming out of high school and is the son of Sumlin’s predecessor, Rich Rodriguez. He passed for 226 yards and a touchdown against Utah last week after Tate went down.

While Isibor said he was busy preparing for the Wildcats, coach Chip Kelly said he appreciated the growth the defensive lineman has made since transitioning to linebacker.

“The one thing with (Isibor), I think he’s transitioning from being a defensive lineman to a linebacker and playing up on his feet, but he did a really good job of coverage the other day,” Kelly said. “I know the sack shows up as a fumble, but he’s getting better in all aspects, so we’re really excited about his trajectory in terms of where he is.”

UCLA’s offense, on the other hand, won’t be affected by the absence of Tate.

Redshirt junior running back Joshua Kelley has 433 rushing yards this season and is fourth in the conference with 5.9 yards per carry. Arizona boasts the No. 107 rush defense in the country and allowed 230 yards and three touchdowns on the ground to Utah last week.

Freshman quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson is coming off his two most efficient games of the season with a 71.1 completion percentage against Washington and an 86.7 mark against Cal.

Thompson-Robinson is unlikely to face the pocket pressure he saw earlier this season, as Arizona has recorded just 11 sacks this season and is 11th in the conference with 55 yards lost on sacks.

UCLA and Arizona kickoff at 7 p.m. on Saturday as the Bruins will try to spoil Kevin Sumlin’s second straight trip to the Rose Bowl.

Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.