Friday, Aug 7, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

AFSCME Local 3299 releases dates for patient care workers’ systemwide strike

American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299 issued a press release Friday announcing patient care technical workers will walk out Oct. 23 to Oct. 25. (Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

By Melissa Morris

Oct. 12, 2018 6:30 pm

University of California patient care workers and service workers announced a systemwide strike this month.

American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299 issued Friday that patient care technical workers will walk out Oct. 23 to Oct. 25.

AFSCME Local 3299 service workers voted to join the patient care technicians in solidarity, according to an AFSCME press release.

AFSCME is the UC’s largest employee union and represents more than 25,000 patient care technicians and service workers.

Patient care workers voted Thursday with 96 percent support to authorize the strike, according to an AFSCME news release.

John de los Angeles, an AFSCME Local 3299 spokesperson, said the union is striking as a last resort.

“The way things have gone at the bargaining table, workers really feel they have no other option to stand (against and) fight what they perceive as a real injustice here,” de los Angeles said.

The union held a three-day strike in May, claiming the UC perpetuates racial- and gender-based discrimination in its hiring and wage practices.

Claire Doan, a UC Office of the President spokesperson, said the University will try to limit the negative effect of a strike.

“We will do everything possible to limit the negative impact of a strike – and AFSCME leaders’ predictable theatrics – on our campuses and medical centers,” Doan said.

AFSCME Local 3299 President Kathryn Lybarger said in the press release outsourcing undermines the most diverse group of workers in the UC.

“When UC outsources these jobs, they’re eliminating what were once career ladders into the middle class for women and people of color – and that is in major conflict with the University’s mission of serving as an engine of economic mobility for all Californians,” Lybarger said.

Melissa Morris | Editor in chief
Morris is the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was previously the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.
Condo/Townhouse for Rent

10982 Roebling Ave, CLUB CA, 3 mins walk to campus,fully furnished, onsite mgr, security building,pool,gym,lounge, private room $1300 or shared $750, call 626-674-9087