Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021

Community feedback surveyTracking COVID-19 at UCLACrosstown Clash 2021

Bird implements automatic stop for scooters on Bruin Walk

By Sydney Coneeny

Users of Bird scooters will no longer be able to ride their scooters on Bruin Walk.

As riders approach Bruin Walk, their scooters will slow to a stop so they can walk them or dismount entirely, according to an email Bird Rides Inc. sent to users in the UCLA area Thursday.

The email reminded Bird users to ride their vehicles only in bike lanes, wear their helmets and obey all traffic laws. The email also stated that riders should avoid parking their Birds in front of stairways, walkways or handicap-accessible areas.

University police officers were seen issuing citations to electric scooter riders who violated the Bruin Walk dismount policy earlier this week.

Bruin Walk has maintained a strict Dismount Zone policy since 2009. Students who ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards or rollerblades must dismount or risk receiving a citation.

Sydney Coneeny | City and Crime editor
Coneeny is the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the City and Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News and Higher Education beat. She is a second-year pre-global studies student from the east coast.
Help Wanted

Remote Linux System Administrator I need someone to install updates, complete some projects and to be available for emergency issues that come up now and then with my web server/asterisk PBX servers. Experience required: apache/lets encrypt, sendmail/dovecot, asterisk/freePBX, php/mysql, DNS management and configuration of network gateways Reliability, dependability and excellent communication skills are essential. In an emergency I need someone who can respond immediately, trouble shoot and diagnose the problem and fix the issue. Please call 1.805.322.0005