Daily Bruin Abroad: Spain

By Liz Ketcham

People clad in white and red, the uniform associated with La Fiesta de San Fermín, pass by on their way to the town square in Pamplona. La Fiesta de San Fermín is best known for the running of the bulls, or ''el encierro,'' which draws over one million tourists to Spain every year.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

A young matador marches through the streets of Pamplona during a ceremonial parade. Bullfighting, a controversial Spanish tradition, happens daily starting the second day of the festival, which takes place July 6 through 14.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Festivalgoers spray others in the crowd with sangria to celebrate the beginning of the festivities on July 6. To kick off the festival, a rocket is launched over thousands of people who gather in the main town square.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

In the minute leading up to the rocket launch, those gathered in the town square raise their traditional red handkerchiefs to the sky in anticipation.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

The historic stone streets of downtown Pamplona turn white and red during La Fiesta de San Fermín as locals and tourists gather to celebrate the longstanding Spanish tradition.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Festivalgoers drenched in sangria and water push their way through the dense crowd. Summer can get hot in Pamplona, so spectators in surrounding balconies are known to throw water, champagne, and sangria down on the crowds below to cool them off.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Musicians perform traditional folk songs from a balcony. Day and night, live music fills the streets.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

A couple shows off their dance moves in a crowd.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

For those who choose not to run with the real bulls in the morning, a man wielding the ''fire bull'' runs up and down the official route at night, spraying fireworks from the bull’s back. The event is especially popular with children and young adults, since the minimum age for the official run is 18.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

A child watches the sparks fly from atop his father’s shoulders as the fire bull approaches.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

A street vendor wanders downtown, holding a bunch of balloons to sell to festivalgoers.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

A ''giant'' spins in the streets during the parade of ''gigantes y cabezudos'' (giants and big-heads). The giants represent kings and queens, and they march through Pamplona in a daily procession.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

A Kiliki wields his foam truncheon, which is used to playfully bop children on the head during the procession.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Local musicians take to the streets to party and play traditional Basque music for fellow revelers. On the last day of the festival, the tune of the music becomes more somber, commemorating the end of the nine-day Fiesta de San Fermín.

(Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

Liz Ketcham | Alumna
Ketcham was the 2020-2021 Digital managing editor. She was previously the 2019-2020 Photo editor, as well as a 2018-2019 assistant Photo editor covering the News beat.