Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

Football lags behind by 1 point at halftime after promising first-quarter play

Freshman wide receiver Kyle Philips caught a pair of passes for 10 yards and returned a punt 32 yards in the first half. UCLA trails Colorado 14-13 at halftime. (Hannah Burnett/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Ryan Smith

BOULDER, Colo. — The Bruins are showing signs of life.

Despite trailing 14-13 at the half, UCLA football (0-3) is playing a well-rounded game against unbeaten Colorado (3-0) at Folsom Field.

Freshman quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson opened Friday’s game with a pair of quick completions, but a sack on third down forced the Bruins to punt. Redshirt senior punter Stefan Flintoft then pinned the Buffaloes down at their own 13-yard line.

UCLA’s defense forced a three-and-out, and freshman wide receiver Kyle Philips returned the ensuing punt 32 yards into Colorado territory. Thompson-Robinson finished off that drive by finding freshman wide receiver Michael Ezeike on a fade from 11 yards out to put the Bruins up 7-0.

Thompson-Robinson ended the half 12-of-19 through the air for 96 yards and a touchdown.

It did not take long for Colorado to respond, however.

On the Buffaloes’ next possession, quarterback Steven Montez found wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. for a 57-yard touchdown pass after sophomore defensive back Mo Osling III got lost in coverage.

After a UCLA field goal late in the first quarter, Montez took Colorado down the field again, capping off a 12-play, 80-yard drive with a 10-yard keeper to put the Buffaloes ahead 14-10.

Montez finished the first half with 131 yards and one touchdown on 13-of-15 passing.

The Bruins cut the deficit to one with just a few minutes remaining in the half after junior kicker JJ Molson connected on a field goal from 50 yards out.

Ryan Smith | Alumnus
Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.
Guesthouse for Rent

CHARMING GUEST HOUSE for a single student for rent in Bel Air with its own secluded verdant patio and one mile from UCLA. Low rent of $1,000 includes Sofa, queen-size bed, utilities, washer/dryer, kitchenette and parking. Renter must be a dog lover and willing to house sit two small dogs, as part of rental arrangement. Srila âª(310) 709-4411⬠âª[email protected]â¬