Tuesday, January 22

UCLA quarterback Devon Modster announces plans to transfer schools

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Devon Modster announced Friday afternoon that he will be transferring from UCLA. Modster made two starts for the Bruins in 2017, but had not played this season.  (Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Devon Modster announced Friday afternoon that he will be transferring from UCLA. Modster made two starts for the Bruins in 2017, but had not played this season. (Alice Naland/Daily Bruin)

UCLA quarterback Devon Modster announced via Twitter on Friday afternoon that he intends to transfer schools.

The redshirt sophomore began the year behind graduate transfer Wilton Speight and true freshman Dorian Thompson-Robinson on the depth chart and had not seen game action as quarterback this season.

Modster appeared in five games for the Bruins in the 2017 season and made two starts – one of which was in the Cactus Bowl against Kansas State in December. He threw for 295 yards on 21-of-34 passing and two touchdowns in UCLA’s 35-17 loss.

Modster was a four-star recruit and the No. 13 ranked quarterback prospect in the nation when he was recruited by former Bruins coach Jim Mora in 2016.

Ryan Smith is the 2018-2019 Sports editor. He was previously an assistant Sports editor in 2017-2018, and has covered women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf during his time with the Bruin.

• mike oxhard

Makes sense, after Chip Kelly put Thompson-Robinson in over him once Speight got hurt it became apparent he’d never be the guy here. Hope he does well wherever he lands.

• Rufus Snoddy

Modster seems to be a talented QB, but has not shown the exceptional kind of talent needed to carry a team like the Bruins. Like Fresno State’s QB, McMaryion who played for Oregon State, perhaps he will be a better fit with a team that knows who it is. In games I saw him play in, he had impressive moments and seemed steady, but not outstanding. I wish him luck and hope he is successful in the future.