Friday, Aug 7, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

University of California commits to using 100 percent clean energy by 2025

All 10 UC campuses and five medical centers have committed to using solely zero-carbon and renewably generated electricity within a decade. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Melissa Morris

Sep. 4, 2018 4:41 pm

The University of California announced Tuesday that it will use 100 percent clean electricity by 2025.

All 10 UC campuses and five medical centers have committed to using solely zero-carbon and renewably generated electricity within a decade, according to a CALPIRG Students press release.

Student public interest research groups have worked on more than 65 college campuses in 19 states to encourage universities to transition to 100 percent renewable energy generation, according to the press release. Some universities, including Boston University, Cornell University and Colorado State University have made similar 100 percent renewable energy pledges.

The California Public Interest Research Group, which includes CALPIRG at UCLA, collected thousands of student petitions in support of this commitment. They also hosted lobby days at the state Capitol in which hundreds of students expressed their support for environmental policy reform.

David Phillips, the UC’s associate vice president for energy and sustainability, said in the press release that student advocacy encouraged the administration to commit to 100 percent clean energy.

“Our students have been great partners, and their leadership has encouraged us to take a major step by committing to buy 100 percent clean electricity by 2025,” Phillips said.

This pledge comes one week after the California State Assembly passed Senate Bill 100, which, if signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown, will ensure 100 percent renewable energy generation in the state by 2045.

Melissa Morris | Editor in chief
Morris is the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was previously the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.
Condo/Townhouse for Rent

10982 Roebling Ave, CLUB CA, 3 mins walk to campus,fully furnished, onsite mgr, security building,pool,gym,lounge, private room $1300 or shared $750, call 626-674-9087