Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Advertise

Curfew in Westwood starts at 9 p.m. tonight. Follow our coverage of countywide protests against racial injustice here.

UCLA football suspends six players for season opener against Cincinnati

Senior running back Soso Jamabo is one of six players suspended for Saturday’s season opener after violating athletic department policies. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Joy Hong and Angie Forburger

August 27, 2018 11:03 am

UCLA football announced Monday morning that it will suspend six players for Saturday’s season opener against Cincinnati due to violations of athletic department policies.

No further details were provided regarding the violations.

The Bruins will play without senior running back Soso Jamabo, sophomore defensive back Mo Osling III, junior offensive lineman Boss Tagaloa, redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Osa Odighizuwa, sophomore defensive lineman Moses Robinson-Carr and redshirt sophomore tight end Devin Asiasi.

Coach Chip Kelly told media before practice Monday morning that Jamabo will be suspended for two games while Tagaloa and Asiasi will be suspended for three, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Jamabo was second in total rushing yards for the Bruins last season behind senior Bolu Olorunfunmi, recording 446 yards and six touchdowns.

Tagaloa saw action in 12 games last season, playing as a reserve for the defensive line and special teams unit. The newly converted offensive lineman logged 32 tackles, one sack and 2.5 tackles for loss last season.

Kelly – who signed a five-year contract worth $23.3 million in November to replace Jim Mora – will coach his first game for the Bruins on Saturday.

Joy Hong | Managing editor
Hong is the 2019-2020 Managing editor. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's basketball, men's water polo, women's water polo, women's tennis, and beach volleyball beats.
Angie Forburger | Editor in chief
Forburger is the 2019-2020 editor in chief. She was previously an assistant Sports editor for the women's volleyball, gymnastics, softball, swim and dive and rowing beats and was a Sports reporter before that.

Ariel Court-535 Gayley Ave. Private studio and 1 bdrm apartments available for Summer and/or Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Parking, pool & fitness ctr. at property. Specials up to 2 Months Free! Studios from $2,099 & 1×1 from $2,400. Mention this ad for $0 Application fee (310) 208-3818 www.decron.com