Excessive heat warning issued to residents in Los Angeles area

High temperatures in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit will last through Saturday evening, according to weather officials. (Jenna Nicole Smith/Daily Bruin)

By Sydney Coneeny

Los Angeles will continue to see high temperatures through Saturday, according to weather officials.

The National Weather Service issued an weather alert Friday warning Los Angeles residents of excessive heat expected to continue through 9 p.m. Saturday. The alert said record temperature highs are likely, with inland regions reaching temperatures of up to 106 degrees Fahrenheit.

Coastal regions in Los Angeles are expected to see highs in the 80s and 90s.

The high temperatures increase the risk of heat-related illness and injury, according to the report. The NWS warns against spending excessive time outside, especially for heat-sensitive groups such as the young and elderly. There is also an increased potential for power outages.

The NWS recommends that those feeling overcome by heat or displaying symptoms of heat exhaustion move into a cool, shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency, and Los Angeles residents should call 911, according to the NWS.

Sydney Coneeny | City and Crime editor
Coneeny is the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the City and Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News and Higher Education beat. She is a second-year pre-global studies student from the east coast.