Majority of incoming USAC leaders certified, sworn in despite revote

Twelve of the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Students Association Council was sworn in Tuesday, and remaining officials will be sworn in at the next USAC meeting. (Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin)

By Melissa Morris

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated the next council meeting will be held May 12. In fact, it will be held June 12.

This post was updated June 6 at 5:19 p.m.

The undergraduate student government voted to certify the spring election results and swore in several of next year’s council members Tuesday.

The Undergraduates Students Association Council first voted to not certify the election results by a vote of 3-4, with three abstentions. The council then took a second vote following further discussion and voted to certify the election results by a vote of 6-2, with two abstentions.

While the revote may technically violate USAC bylaws, the council has conducted revotes in the past, said administrative representative Debra Geller. For example, the vote to override a USAC Judicial Board decision to not take a case May 22 was a revote.

In the discussion period leading up to the revote, incoming President Claire Fieldman and outgoing Academic Affairs Commissioner Divya Sharma said that several appointments from their respective offices would be unable to function if the council did not certify the election results and swear in the new council.

The council also discussed the logistics of recalling a council member, which would require 3,600 undergraduate student signatures.

Outgoing General Representative 2 Kayla He, who voted “no” in the revote, said she did not like that new council members had disrespected the voting process, especially because she cannot vote in other elections due to her status as an international student.

“I hate for someone who hurt the only voting options I have to be my representative,” He said.

Twelve incoming council members were sworn in Tuesday. The remaining two council members, who were not present in the council meeting, will be sworn in at the June 12 council meeting.

Melissa Morris | Alumna
Morris was previously the 2020-2021 Editor in chief. She was also the 2019-2020 assistant Enterprise editor as well as the 2018-2019 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat.