California 2018 primary election: Yes on Proposition 68

Daily Bruin file photo

Proposition 68 authorizes the allocation of $4 billion to state parks and water quality projects. These projects will serve the more than 100 California state parks as well as other park- and environment-related projects, including conservation and waterway cleanup efforts.

About a third of the bond revenue will go to funding park projects. Park-poor neighborhoods will receive the majority of funding to provide and expand parks in their communities. Additionally, the proposition stipulates that of the allocated funds, at least 15 percent must be used for projects serving disadvantaged communities.

Another third will be dedicated to water-related projects, such as flood protection and drought preparedness efforts. The final third will fund conservation projects, including up to $10 million that can be allotted to the University of California Natural Reserve System, which does research in protected landscapes.

The board endorses Proposition 68 because it will help ensure California’s natural areas will continue to thrive and that underserved communities will be able to enjoy these natural resources and spaces.