Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Royal Society of Chemistry honors UCLA professor with centenary prize

Richard Kaner, a professor in chemistry and biochemistry, received the Royal Society of Chemistry’s 2018 Centenary Prize for his research on energy harnessing and storage. (UCLA Newsroom)

By Maddie Ostergaard

A UCLA professor recently received an award for his work in chemistry.

Richard Kaner, a distinguished professor in chemistry and biochemistry, received the Royal Society of Chemistry’s 2018 Centenary Prize for his research on energy harnessing and storage, according to a university press release Monday. Kaner constructed a device that can cheaply convert and store solar energy, which can be used to operate electronic devices and create the hydrogen fuel needed for eco-friendly cars.

Kaner has worked at UCLA since 1987 and has designed materials that could contribute to the technological and medical fields. He has also received awards from the Fulbright Program, the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

He has also designed a biological supercapacitator – a battery-free, implantable device that uses ions found in human fluids to store energy. This invention could help create more durable pacemakers and other medical implants.

The Royal Society of Chemistry is a British not-for-profit organization that was founded in 1841. The organization serves as the United Kingdom’s professional body for chemical scientists. With over 54,000 members, the organization has supported and published research in chemistry for over 175 years.

Kaner will join two other winners of the RSC Centenary Prize on a lecture tour in the British Isles. According to the RSC, he was awarded for being an outstanding chemist and communicator.

Maddie Ostergaard
Ostergaard was the 2018-2019 assistant News editor of Features and Student Life. She was previously a News contributor. Ostergaard is a second-year Cognitive Science student at UCLA.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]