Judicial board postpones swearing in of next year’s council

(Nathan Smith/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Yun Kyung (Anny) Kim

Correction: Though the Election Board did not originally clarify whether it sanctioned Bruins United for coercion, it later issued a statement that said it did not receive any evidence or testimony that corroborated coercion complaints. In fact, it found Martin and Solkovits had infringed upon a student's right to vote in privacy.

This was post was updated May 9 at 10:23 a.m.

The undergraduate student government judicial board decided to review a petition against the election board and postponed the swearing in of next year’s council.

Ramneek Hazrah and Matthew William Richard filed a petition against the election board, claiming the board failed to fully investigate and issue a reasonable sanction against Bruins United candidates Victoria Solkovitis and Bella Martin, who infringed on a student’s right to vote in privacy, according to a memorandum for the petitioner. The judicial board’s decision may change the outcome of the election.

The election board sanctioned the Bruins United slate Friday morning and prohibited the slate from campaigning until 3 p.m. that day. The election board announced Martin as the council’s general representative 2 when it released election results Friday.

The judicial board postponed the swearing in of the elected council members until May 14. Elected councils were planned to be sworn in Tuesday during the council’s meeting.

This is the second petition the judicial board has accepted to review this year, and the court of hearing will take place Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Franz Hall 2288. The court hearing will be open to the public.

Yun Kyung (Anny) Kim
Kim is the assistant news editor for the campus politics beat. She was previously a contributor for the beat.