Beach volleyball wins its five matchups at Surf and Turf Invitational

Sophomore Lily Justine and partner junior Sarah Sponcil had dropped three straight matches heading into this weekend in Miami. The duo rallied back to help UCLA sweep its final four matches at the Surf and Turf Invitational. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Joy Hong

The Bruins faced five top-20 teams this weekend and dropped only 1 point.

No. 2 UCLA beach volleyball (24-3) swept No. 12 Florida International, No. 18 Florida Atlantic, No. 8 South Carolina and No. 11 Grand Canyon 5-0, also defeating No. 7 Florida State 4-1 at the Surf and Turf Invitational in Miami.

“It really shows how hard we’ve all been working and we’re really the team to beat this year,” said junior Megan McNamara. “We’re all really happy with how this weekend went.”

Only four out of the 25 total matches reached three sets for the Bruins as they continued on to win their 19th straight dual. Coach Stein Metzger said the team is improving in finishing close matches, as UCLA snatched three out of the four three-setters.

“I think it shows that we’re having growth in every position, winning across the board,” Metzger said. “The team is really learning how to win, is really learning to close out tight matches, and I think that’s a great sign for us moving forward.”

Metzger also added that the team’s ability to finish out matches has contributed to the winning streak even when facing top opponents.

“I think they’re certainly gaining some confidence with these wins,” Metzger said. “Especially with the fact that we’re winning a lot of these close games at the end. … It builds confidence, and there’s no substitute for earning confidence.”

The Bruins left for Miami after a dominant 4-1 victory over No. 1 Pepperdine. After riding that momentum to win all five duals Friday and Saturday, UCLA will likely take over the No. 1 spot in the rankings.

“I think we’re the best team in the nation – I mean, I’ve always thought that,” said sophomore Lily Justine. “But rankings really don’t mean anything to me. I’ve always thought we’re confident and that we have what it takes.”

While the Bruins won 4-1 against Florida State, Pepperdine and unranked Washington, Justine and her partner junior Sarah Sponcil fell to their opponents in all three matchups.

“(Justine) is taking on a tough role being a sophomore playing that high up in the lineup on a really tough schedule,” Metzger said. “She’s shown a lot of maturity and (improvement) in a lot of areas in her game.”

The pair was able to bounce back in Miami, ending their losing skid in a straight-set win against Florida International and going never to drop a set the rest of the weekend.

“If something isn’t working, then (we have to) try to clean things up and try to adjust,” Justine said. “When it gets to a third-set match, whichever team is going to adjust the best is going to win.”

However, UCLA didn’t need to go to a third set often this weekend, winning two out of the five duals in straight sets. McNamara said the team is happy with what it accomplished this weekend, but knows that there is a lot more left in the season.

“I think we definitely (proved to be the best team this weekend), but I think we have to continue to work hard to maintain that No. 1 spot,” McNamara said. “But it’s still early, so we’re going to continue to be working hard to be No. 1 at the end of the year.”

Joy Hong | Alumna
Hong joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until 2020. She was the Managing editor for the 2019-2020 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year. Hong spent time on the women's basketball, men's water polo, women's water polo, women's tennis and beach volleyball beats.