ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – March 16
By Thomas Lim
March 17, 2018 2:49 pm
Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.
Executive director’s reports:
- ASUCLA Executive Director Pouria Abbassi said ASUCLA will continue its promotional and outreach efforts, including setting up tents for the UCLA Store and the Computer Store during Bruin Day on April 14. Each tent will include a coffee station, ASUCLA student employees as peer-to-peer advocates and a social media giveaway.
- Abbassi said Art in the Union submissions are due on April 13 at 5 p.m. Art in the Union is a tradition where ASUCLA commissions five pieces of original student artwork, and displays submissions in the Kerckhoff Art Gallery from April 23 to May 4.
- Abbassi said the UCLA Store is looking for models for the Fall BearWear catalog.
- Abbassi said gross income from all operations as of February amounted to $4,898,000, which is $211,000 more than last year and $51,000 more than budgeted.
- Abbassi said there were strong performances in Course Reader Solutions, the Market and the Computer Store. Abbassi added that good control over wages and benefits helped mitigate losses from Campus Portrait Studio and Graduation Etc.
- Abbassi said Greenhouse performed well, despite the below-plan performance of Northern Lights and North Campus.i
- Abbassi said the Ackerman Dining Room has added new furniture and will finish furnishing by Saturday.
- Abbassi said Blaze Pizza’s construction is almost complete and it has already been issued a certificate of occupancy and passed the health inspection. He added Veggie Grill will also be open soon and is currently in the process of getting a health permit.
- Abbassi said ASUCLA will further market its catering services April 1 with a new website featuring a new menu.
- The Board of Directors unanimously approved the final budget assumptions for the fiscal year 2018 to 2019.