UCLA baseball victory over CSUN halted by weather

Sophomore second baseman Chase Strumpf hit his fourth home run of the season in Wednesday’s game against CSUN. However, the game was suspended due to rain and is set to resume in May. (Hannah Burnett/Daily Bruin)

By Sam Connon

The Bruins will have to wait a little longer for another chance to end their two-game losing streak.

Despite leading CSUN (9-7) 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth inning, Mother Nature prevented No. 17 UCLA (10-4) from securing the victory after it was announced the game would be suspended due to inclement weather Wednesday.

In the eight innings that were played, the Bruin bats got back on track after only notching three extra-base hits in the Dodger Stadium College Baseball Classic last weekend.

Chase Strumpf led the charge at the plate for UCLA, hitting a two-run home run over the left field wall in the fourth, putting his team up 2-1. The sophomore second baseman also knocked a two-out double to left in the top of the eighth, and was driven in by a double from sophomore first baseman Jack Stronach to give the Bruins a 3-2 lead.

It was an attack by committee for UCLA on the mound, as not one of the six pitchers saw more than ten batters. The group was able to keep the CSUN bats in check for most of the game, with the Matadors only tallying six hits.

Right-hander Ryan Garcia got the start, but only threw two innings. The sophomore allowed two hits and struck out two in the first, but Garcia was given an innings limit due to the Bruins’ short rotation. Coach John Savage said he is expecting to use Garcia this weekend after junior pitcher Jon Olsen was knocked out of Sunday’s game after getting hit in the face by a line drive.

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Jack Ralston relieved Garcia in the third and retired the side in his first frame. He retired the first eight Matadors he saw before surrendering a single.

The lone slip-up from the Bruins’ bullpen was a solo home run given up by junior pitcher Brian Gadsby in the bottom of the sixth.

UCLA will get back on the field for the start of the Pac-12 season against Washington State on Friday.

Wednesday’s game will resume May 15 at Jackie Robinson Stadium, when the Bruins and Matadors have another game scheduled.

Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.