USAC recap – March 13

By Iman Alamdari

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the usaclive channel on YouTube, which can be accessed with a ucla.edu account.

Special Presentations:

• UCPD Lt. Kevin Kilgore said the department does not want to make any arrests during the UC Board of Regents meeting this week, but will be forced to do so if students disobey compliance requests or a dispersal order. Kilgore added that while students are encouraged to come to the meeting and protest, they must follow the rules and laws in place.
  • · Representatives from the Chinese Students and Scholars Association and the International Student Leadership Coalition said the council needs to do more to support international students on campus. They added there also needs to be more representation for international students on the council.

Funding:

• The council voted to allocate $8,254 from the Contingency Programming Fund to various student groups this week.

Officer Reports:

• Facilities Commissioner Zahra Hajee said the first floor of the Wooden Center will be available for students as a late-night study space for finals from March 17 to March 22 from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. She added the study space will also have coffee and snacks.

New Business:

• The Election Board presented a revised version of the USAC Election Code, which the council approved after some deliberation.
  • The council approved an amended USAC Election Calendar with a vote of 11-0-1.
  • The council unanimously passed the Cultural Affairs Commission’s bylaw amendment which allows the president to make appointments to the Community Activities Committee.
  • · The council tabled a resolution in support of and in solidarity with psychologists and clinicians of UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services.
  • The council held a hearing for Election Board Chair Jack Price to review his performance and give him a chance to respond to the council’s concerns. The council sent him a letter Thursday, after the board proposed amendments to the Election Code that the UCLA campus counsel found violated the First Amendment.
  • The council recommended Price be more transparent about his future recommendations and to consult Kris Kaupalolo, the assistant director of Student Organizations, Leadership & Engagement, and USAC Administrative Representative Debra Geller before making proposals.

Iman Alamdari