ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Feb. 23

By Deandra Du

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive director’s reports:

• ASUCLA Executive Director Pouria Abbassi said the UCLA Store will feature an employee appreciation discount from March 14 to 16.
  • Abbassi said the UCLA Store’s textbook section will host a textbook buyback event from March 12 to 23 at various locations.
  • He added the association will launch a new trifold brochure on the UCLA Store patio site in March.
  • Abbassi said ASUCLA will complete renovating Ackerman Union’s first floor dining area by the end of March. He added Blaze Pizza will open in the Court of Sciences by then as well.
  • Abbassi said ASUCLA will celebrate UCLA’s centennial in May 2019 by putting up street banners throughout Los Angeles. He said he thinks the centennial will be a good opportunity for the association to expand its marketing and outreach efforts.
  • Abbassi said as ASUCLA prepares its budget for the coming year, it will prioritize long-term growth through factors such as strong customer service.

Financial Reports:

• Abbassi said January sales amounted to $2,475,000, an $88,000 increase from last year’s sales but $7,000 below plan. He said overall ASUCLA sales are performing close to plans.
  • He said food services sales are below projected sales by $131,000 due to delays in opening Blaze Pizza and Veggie Grill. He added he will be attending a meeting next week to finalize permits and set concrete dates for the openings.
  • Abbassi said the openings of Blaze Pizza and Veggie Grill will bring in more profit in food services and added ASUCLA will expand its catering services.
  • Abbassi added ASUCLA projects a $26,000 profit from insurance premiums and $75,000 profit from coffee ventures.
  • He said the Los Angeles minimum hourly wage will increase by $1.25 in July 2018 and $1 in July 2019.
  • Abbassi said sales from course reader materials, the computer store and the print shop have decreased. He added ASUCLA wants to improve how it merchandises BearWear.
  • He said the association is projecting an increase in revenue from football games and thinks the starting term of coach Chip Kelly will have an positive impact on overall sales.
  • ASUCLA plans to utilize more data analytics to improve e-commerce traffic and revenue, Abbassi added.

Action/Discussion Items:

• The Board of Directors approved a $175,422 capital expenditure to renovate the men’s and women’s first-floor restrooms in Ackerman Union.
  • The board approved a plan to build and operate a cafe in the new Engineering VI building.
  • The board authorized management’s replacement of frozen yogurt offerings in Ackerman Union with Nestlé single-serve frozen desserts.

Deandra Du