Interfraternity Council lifts alcohol ban on in-house events

By Rupan Bharanidaran

This post was updated Feb. 25 at 6:16 p.m.

UCLA fraternities can now host in-house events with alcohol, following a vote by the Interfraternity Council’s presidents Friday evening.

The IFC banned alcohol at fraternity events in January following an alleged sexual assault in the North Village. Benjamin Orr, the 2016-2017 president of the Theta Delta Chi fraternity, was arrested and charged with assault with intent to commit rape and oral copulation.

IFC President Noah Mayer said in a statement the council lifted the ban after voting to pass its new risk- management policy. Under the new policy, fraternities will be required to have third-party security guards and bartenders at every registered event, and can only hold parties in approved areas in the house.

“Parties are no longer going to be a free-flowing thing,” Mayer said.

Mayer also said the IFC worked with UCPD and Monroe Gorden, interim vice chancellor for student affairs, to update the policy.

“This was an outdated document that needed to be updated,” he said.

He added the IFC will pay for the security and bartender for two events for each fraternity. Afterwards, fraternities will be responsible for the costs, Mayer said.

Mayer also said the IFC will receive post-party reports from security guards at events to make sure fraternities follow the updated policy. He added fraternities that break IFC policies will be subject to the council’s judicial process.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.