Chemical smell triggers fire alarms, evacuation in Ackerman Union

Students and workers were evacuated from Ackerman Union at 3:17 p.m. Monday. Steve Jurado, assistant fire marshal at UCLA, said the smell came from a substance in a laboratory in the Engineering V building. (Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Assistant Photo editor)

By Jacob Preal

This post was updated Feb. 5 at 6:19 p.m.

Students were evacuated from Ackerman Union on Monday after a chemical smell originating from the Engineering V building triggered fire alarms.

The smell came from a substance in a laboratory in the Engineering V building, said Steve Jurado, the assistant fire marshal at UCLA. He added the smell was nontoxic and firefighters used air exchanges to filter out the odor.

Alarms in Ackerman Union went off at 3:17 p.m. after they were triggered by the chemical smell, said Roy Champawat, the Associated Students UCLA director. Students were permitted to reenter the building around 4 p.m.

The Engineering V building was clear to enter around 6 p.m.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.