Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UCLA men’s golf ends fall season with fourth-place finish in Hawaii

Junior Cole Madey finished seventh at the Warrior Princeville Makai Invitational in Hawaii this week. UCLA men’s golf finished fourth in team play and will not play again until February 2018. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Ryan Smith

UCLA men’s golf finished fourth at the Warrior Princeville Makai Invitational in Hawaii – its final tournament of fall.

The Bruins shot 37-under-par as a team to claim their fourth top-five finish in as many tries this season. UCLA shot 20-under-par on day two following a 9-under performance on day one, but could not finish the job despite being within striking distance.

Louisville won the tournament at 56-under.

Junior Cole Madey led the way for the Bruins, finishing seventh on the individual leaderboard at 14-under-par for the week. He also had the best round of any UCLA golfer, shooting 9-under-par on day two.

Freshmen Devon Bling and Eddy Lai finished tied for 16th and 32nd respectively. Bling shot 8-under for the tournament, but struggled on day two when he scored 3-over. Lai entered day three at 6-under-par, but shot 2-over to finish at 4-under.

Senior Tyler Collier was consistent, hovering around par on all three days. He would finish tied for 23rd place at 6-under-par.

Sophomore Hidetoshi Yoshihara was the only Bruin to finish the tournament over-par at 1-over.

Louisville’s Simon Zach won the individual with a score of 21-under-par.

UCLA men’s golf will not see action again until the University of San Diego Intercollegiate in February 2018.

Ryan Smith | Alumnus
Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.