Around the League: Top men’s water polo teams stay ranked, Cardinal men’s soccer remains undefeated

Last week, three top-25 ranked women’s volleyball teams from around the Pac-12 were upset – then-No. 15 USC, then-No. 25 Colorado and then-No. 17 Utah. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin staff)

By Ryan Smith, Nicholas Yekikian, and Kelsey Angus

Men’s water polo
Ryan Smith, assistant Sports editor

The country’s top four men’s water polo teams went undefeated this past week.

No. 2 UCLA returned its winning ways by taking down No. 9 Pepperdine 8-7 behind a three-goal performance from freshman attacker Chasen Travisano. It was the second hat trick of Travisano’s young career.

The Bruins will play a pair of games this weekend against No. 15 California Baptist and No. 7 Long Beach State.

No. 1 USC improved to 18-1 with an overtime win over Long Beach State as well as a 6-3 victory against No. 8 UC Santa Barbara on Sunday.

No. 3 California blew out unranked Santa Clara by a score of 21-9. Junior attacker Johnny Hooper led the way with three goals.

California will take on No. 6 UC Irvine, who knocked off then-No.1 UCLA last week, in Berkeley on Saturday.

As for No. 4 Stanford and No. 5 Pacific, the two teams faced off in Stockton this weekend where the Cardinal took home a convincing 12-7 road victory.

Men’s soccer
Nicholas Yekikian, assistant Sports editor

The No. 8 Stanford Cardinal (9-2, 3-0 Pac-12) has continued to rampage through the Pac-12, most recently defeating the No. 24 California Bears (7-3, 2-1) on Sunday in a 3-0 blowout – it was their seventh shutout win of the season.

Stanford will face nothing but conference teams for the rest of the season, with Washington (9-3, 2-1) next on their schedule.

The Huskies recently had a six-game winning streak snapped by the Bruins in a 1-0 overtime loss. Washington has not won either of its contests that have gone into overtime so far this year.

San Diego State (4-8, 0-4) continues to spiral downward. Their losing streak has grown to four games in a row this weekend after their 2-0 loss to Oregon State (4-7, 1-2).

The Aztecs also have not scored a single goal in that four-game slide and have allowed 11 goals.

Women’s volleyball
Kelsey Angus, assistant Sports editor

Pac-12 women’s volleyball play last week featured three upsets over top-25 teams.

Arizona toppled then-No. 15 USC in three sets Friday for its first conference loss of the season. The Wildcats held the Trojans to a match hitting percentage of .140.

Washington State took down then-No. 25 Colorado in four sets Friday. This was the Cougars’ first win this year over a ranked opponent.

Colorado outside hitter Alexa Smith and Washington State outside hitter Taylor Mims led their respective teams with 24 kills apiece.

Then-No. 17 Utah beat then-No. 9 Washington in five sets Friday. The Utes had never before won in Seattle.

Senior outside hitter Adora Anae tallied 25 kills to earn her Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week honors. The match put her at 1,635 total kills in her career, which makes Anae Utah’s all-time career kill leader.

Ryan Smith | Alumnus
Smith joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2020. He was the Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's water polo, baseball, men's golf and women's golf beats.
Yekikian joined the Bruin as a junior transfer in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the softball, men's soccer, women's volleyball, track and field, cross country and rowing beats.
Kelsey Angus | Alumna
Angus joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, women's water polo and swim and dive beats.