UCLA men’s soccer takes down No. 22 Washington in 1-0 overtime victory

Redshirt sophomore Matthew Powell scored his first goal of the season in UCLA’s overtime win against No. 22 Washington on Sunday night. It was the Bruins’ first win against a ranked opponent this year and served to even UCLA’s conference record at 2-2. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Katie Sered

It took 93 minutes, but UCLA men’s soccer found the back of the net late in the game to upset Washington.

In its second match away from Drake stadium since mid-September, UCLA men’s soccer (5-5-0, 2-2-0 Pac-12) bested No. 22 Washington (9-3-0, 2-1-0) 1-0 on Sunday to secure its first overtime victory – and third shutout – of the 2017 season.

The Bruins outshot the Huskies 11-10 in regulation, but not a single one of either team’s shots found the back of the net. Sophomore goalkeeper Kevin Silva tallied six saves for the Bruins.

Washington earned three yellow cards in regulation.

UCLA was not without its fair share of fouls, though, garnering three yellow cards of its own, leading into overtime.

“Tonight was a very hard-fought game,” coach Jorge Salcedo said in a statement to UCLA Athletics. “I thought the guys earned the victory and deserved the three points.”

At the end of the first two halves of play, the Bruins and the Huskies remained scoreless.

Two minutes into overtime, redshirt senior midfielder Brian Iloski passed from a corner kick to junior midfielder Anderson Asiedu whose shot was then blocked.

Barely more than a minute later, redshirt sophomore defender Matthew Powell headed the ball into the goal off of a corner kick from freshman forward Milan Illoski to secure the upset.

http://embed.sendtonews.com/oembed/?SC=TiY5Oq2m70-340732-8314&sound=off&format=json&offsetx=0&offsety=0&floatwidth=300&floatposition=bottom-right&float=on

The game winner was Powell’s first goal of the season and just the second of his UCLA career.

“This weekend was important for us to get two road wins, and we did just that,” Salcedo said.

The Bruins will take a week-long hiatus before returning to Drake Stadium to face San Diego State on Sunday – their final opponent in this stretch of Pac-12 play.

UCLA athletics was unable to immediately connect the reporter with coach Jorge Salcedo or any UCLA men’s soccer players following the game.

Katie Sered | Alumna
Sered joined the Bruin as a junior in 2017 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She spent time on the softball, men's volleyball and men's soccer beats