Bruins’ defense shows improvements in close win against Buffaloes

Senior linebacker Kenny Young led UCLA’s defense with 12 total tackles, including nine solo. On Saturday, UCLA held the opposition to under 25 points for just the second time this season. (Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Assistant Photo editor)

By Matt Cummings

The UCLA defense was electric last year.

With playmakers like Takkarist McKinley, Jayon Brown and Fabian Moreau, the Bruins had one of the Pac-12’s best defensive units.

“We had some ballers last year – this year, we’re just trying to keep that energy,” said senior linebacker Kenny Young after Saturday’s 27-23 win over Colorado. “I saw it tonight.”

It marked the first time Bruin fans saw glimpses of that energy from the defense, which entered the game allowing 43.3 points per game but largely kept the Buffaloes’ offense in check Saturday.

UCLA allowed 434 total yards, still a large total but the fewest the Bruins have given up this season, and held Colorado under its season average entering Saturday night – 26.3 points per game.

The Bruins were particularly stout when it mattered most Saturday night, holding the Buffaloes to just one touchdown out of their five red zone trips. Colorado settled for field goals on three of the other red zone possessions and squandered a fourth with an unsuccessful fake field goal.

“That’s what you have to do to be able to win,” coach Jim Mora said. “Even when we gave up some plays, we build our neck in the red zone.”

The defense also stood strong on third downs, allowing conversions on just four of the Buffaloes’ 16 attempts.

Save for a couple long keepers from Buffalo quarterback Steven Montez, which defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said came on plays the Bruins hadn’t seen on film, UCLA did an effective job limiting the Colorado run game. Running back Phillip Lindsay carried the ball 19 times for 83 yards and didn’t produce a run greater than 14 yards.

It was a much better effort than last week, when UCLA coughed up an astonishing 405 rushing yards to Stanford. “We improved in the run game tonight,” Young said. “But we have to keep building … We could be much more physical.”

UCLA’s tackling, a major issue in the blowout loss to Stanford, was stronger Saturday, but still far from perfect, Bradley said. He noted, in particular, the fact that the Bruins didn’t record a single sack even though they generated as much pressure as they have all year.

“That’s one thing we’ve really got to work on now – finishing,” said senior defensive lineman Jacob Tuioti-Mariner. “(Montez) is a good, elusive quarterback so props to him, but we’ve got to get better.”

Whatever improvements still need to be made, the defense at least looked serviceable Saturday for the first time this season.

“It definitely built momentum,” Young said. “We’re just all trying to put it all together in one boat and just ride with it.”

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.