Men’s water polo continues win streak against UCSB with 10-5 victory

Freshman attacker Nicolas Saveljic was the top scorer for the Bruins in Friday’s game. Saveljic was recently named MPSF/KAP7 Newcomer of the Week. (Amy Dixon/Assistant Photo editor)

By Melissa Zhang

This post was updated Sept. 17 at 5:34 p.m.

After dominating five teams at the Princeton Invitational, the Bruins found themselves trailing 0-3 in Friday’s game against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos.

They didn’t let it last.

No. 4 UCLA men’s water polo (8-0) came back from the deficit to defeat No. 7 UCSB (4-3) 10-5.

The Gauchos made it onto the board first with a cross-cage shot from the front court. They followed with two power-play goals to extend their lead.

Senior utility Alex Roelse found the back of the net for the Bruins with 8 seconds left in the first quarter. Roelse went on to notch a hat trick as the second-highest scorer for the Bruins on Friday.

Freshman attacker Nicolas Saveljic led the team in goals, scoring two in both the second and third quarters to help UCLA gain the lead.

Saveljic was recently named Mountain Pacific Sports Federation/KAP7 Newcomer of the Week after his 12 goals at the Princeton Invitational.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Alex Wolf logged a season-high 15 saves – 10 more than UCSB’s Justyn Barrios.

The Bruins continue their nine-game winning streak with Friday’s victory against the Gauchos. The two teams have met 120 times total, and UCLA leads the series 102-17-1.

Melissa Zhang | Alumna
Zhang joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the women's water polo, women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's volleyball, and cross country beats.