Thursday, July 2, 2020

Advertise

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Injustice Protests

Californians asked to conserve power due to statewide heat wave

The California Independent System Operator issued a statewide Flex Alert for consumers to reduce their electricity usage from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Residents are advised to set their thermostats to 78 degrees Fahrenheit and above, and use electrical appliances later in the evening. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Jacob Preal

August 29, 2017 12:35 pm

This post was updated Sept. 1 at 11:10 a.m.

California residents are advised to continue conserving electricity Friday afternoon as extreme heat continues.

The California Independent System Operator, a nonprofit that oversees much of the state’s electric power system, issued a statewide Flex Alert for consumers to reduce their electricity usage from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power advised Los Angeles consumers in a news release to reduce their electricity usage throughout the week to prevent electrical overloads. However, Los Angeles consumers set a new record for peak electricity demand at 6,502 megawatts Thursday, well above the previous record of 6,396 set in September 2014.

High electricity consumption for lights, major appliances and air conditioners during heat waves can strain the power grid and cause neighborhood power outages. Two of LADWP’s 125 distributing stations were overloaded Tuesday and Wednesday, causing outages in Boyle Heights and Northridge, according to the news release.

The California ISO estimates energy consumption today to exceed 50,860 megawatts, according to its website.

The news release advises consumers to set their thermostat to 78 degrees or higher and cool themselves off with fans or drapes instead. If away, consumers should turn their thermostats off completely.

LADWP also suggests consumers ventilate their homes by opening doors and windows and unplugging electronics that use power when deactivated, like DVD players, phone chargers and microwaves.

LADWP advises consumers to call 1-800-DIAL-DWP to report any power outages. Individuals can also check www.ladwp.com to check the status of power outages.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.

ARIEL COURT APARTMENTS 535 Gayley Ave. PRIVATE STUDIO & ONE BEDROOM APARTMENTS available for Summer & Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Property features 24-hr package lockers, pool, spa, fitness ctr. & parking. Studio from $2,099, 1×1 from $2,400. Specials up to 2 MONTHS FREE! Mention this ad for $0 App. Fee. Call now (310) 208-3818 *** www.arielcourt.com ***